CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

My Husband the D.O.

I don't feel in anyway I need to justify my husband going to an osteopathic school (DO) over an allopathic school (MD), but I do feel inclined to help inform those who don't know what osteopathic medicine is.

What Is Osteopathic Medicine?
This is not a practice of voodoo or witchcraft it is simply the idea of treating the entire person/patient rather than only treating the symptoms.  He will not be a medicine man prescribing herbal remedies. They use and KNOW modern medicine.  They take ALL the same classes as an allopathic (MD) student does in addition to their osteopathic manipulative medicine (OMM).  This not only adds an extra class to every semester, but also adds an extra rotation during clinicals.

According to American Osteopathic Association (AOA), OMM or OMT is hands-on care.  It involves using the hands to diagnose, treat, and prevent illness or injury.  To use OMM your DO will move your muscles and joints using techniques including stretching, gentle pressure and resistance.

Let's take a simple tension headache for example.  Treating the symptom you would possibly take an excedrin.
This contains: caffeine (addictive), aspirin (blood thinner), acetaminophen (hard on your liver).  It will probably take 30-45 minutes to start working and you'll probably need to take another in a few hours.  I'm not saying this is a horrible thing to do but if its not necessary why put it in your body.
Most tension headaches are caused from, like the name suggests,"tension" in your neck. 
I've had a few of these in my lifetime and since having them while Andrew's been in school, he can basically give me a 10 minute neck massage (granted there's a little more to it than that) and my headache is gone and stays away.
(I understand not everyone will have an Andrew to give them a neck massage, it was just an easy example.)

Yes, this may seem random but I hope it has been a moment of clarity for some.  Andrew has worked extremely hard the last 3 years for this degree (and still has one to go) and I am beyond proud.

Main Points:
My husband will be a REAL doctor.
He is in medical school.
  He will not be a chiropractor.
I am PROUD of his decision to do osteopathic medicine.


Thanks for checkin' in!!

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I never knew what a DO was so thank you for explaining that! And I am proud of your husband even though I haven't ever met him for putting in the school hours and rotation hours. You and Hadley are so gracious in supporting him in everything. I know he will make a great doctor!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments!